The Two Oceans Aquarium is one of Cape Town’s most popular tourist attractions, offering visitors a chance to explore the wonders of the underwater world. With over 3,000 marine creatures on display, the aquarium offers an immersive experience for all ages.
But with so much to see and do, it can be overwhelming to decide where to start. In this article, we’ll provide you with a guide of the top things to do at the Two Oceans Aquarium, ensuring that you make the most of your visit.
Whether you’re interested in exploring the exhibits, attending a feeding session, or participating in a behind-the-scenes tour, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in!
Explore the exhibits At Two Oceans Aquarium
The exhibits at the Two Oceans Aquarium offer visitors a chance to get up close and personal with a variety of marine creatures. Here are some of the top exhibits to explore:
- I&J Predator Exhibit: This exhibit is home to a range of predators, including ragged-tooth sharks, rays, and turtles. Visitors can watch the predators being fed and learn about their importance in the ocean’s ecosystem.
- Kelp Forest Exhibit: The Kelp Forest Exhibit is a replica of the underwater forests found along South Africa’s coastline. Visitors can watch the fish and other creatures swim through the kelp and learn about the importance of these ecosystems.
- Atlantic Ocean Exhibit: This exhibit showcases the diversity of marine life found in the Atlantic Ocean. Visitors can see everything from colorful fish to jellyfish and even a giant octopus.
- Touch Pool: The Touch Pool is a favorite among kids and adults alike. Visitors can touch and feel the different creatures found in the pool, including starfish and sea anemones.
- Penguin Exhibit: The Penguin Exhibit is home to a colony of African penguins, which are an endangered species. Visitors can watch the penguins waddle and swim and learn about the efforts to protect them.
- Indian Ocean Exhibit: This exhibit showcases the marine life found in the Indian Ocean, including sharks, rays, and colorful fish.
- Sappi River Meander Exhibit: This exhibit replicates the freshwater ecosystems found in South Africa’s rivers. Visitors can see a range of fish and other creatures that live in these environments.
- Jelly Gallery Exhibit: This exhibit features a variety of jellyfish species, from small moon jellies to larger blue blubber jellies. Visitors can learn about the different types of jellyfish and their unique characteristics.
- Ocean Basket Kelp Tank Exhibit: This exhibit showcases a giant kelp tank, where visitors can watch the kelp sway and the fish swim through it.
- Submarine Exhibit: The Submarine Exhibit allows visitors to experience what it’s like to be inside a submarine. You can learn about the history of submarines and their importance in marine research.
These exhibits are just a few of the many on offer at the Two Oceans Aquarium. Be sure to take your time and explore all of the exhibits to make the most of your visit.
Attend a feeding session At Two Oceans Aquarium
Feeding sessions at the Two Oceans Aquarium are an excellent way to learn about marine life and observe the animals in action. Here are some of the top feeding sessions to attend:
- I&J Predator Exhibit: Watch as the predators in this exhibit are fed a variety of different foods, from fish to squid. A guide will explain the importance of these predators in the ocean’s ecosystem and answer any questions you may have.
- Penguin Exhibit: During the penguin feeding session, visitors can watch as the African penguins are fed a diet of small fish. You’ll learn about the penguins’ eating habits and the efforts to protect this endangered species.
- Turtle Exhibit: The turtle feeding session is a unique opportunity to see these gentle creatures up close. You’ll learn about the different turtle species found in South Africa and their importance in the ocean’s ecosystem.
- Kelp Forest Exhibit: During the Kelp Forest feeding session, visitors can watch as the fish and other creatures that live in this environment are fed. You’ll learn about the different species and how they interact with the kelp forest.
Feeding sessions are a great way to enhance your visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium. Be sure to check the schedule to see which sessions are available during your visit.
Participate in a behind-the-scenes tour At Two Oceans Aquarium
A behind-the-scenes tour at the Two Oceans Aquarium is a unique and exciting way to learn about the marine creatures and the workings of the aquarium. Here are some of the top behind-the-scenes tours to participate in:
- Penguin Experience: The Penguin Experience tour allows visitors to get up close and personal with the African penguins. You’ll learn about their daily routines, feeding habits, and the conservation efforts to protect this endangered species.
- Shark Adventure: The Shark Adventure tour takes visitors behind the scenes to see the sharks up close. You’ll learn about the different shark species found in South Africa and how they are cared for at the aquarium.
- Aquarium Backstage Pass: The Aquarium Backstage Pass tour offers a glimpse into the inner workings of the aquarium. You’ll learn about the filtration systems, animal care, and the daily routines of the aquarium staff.
- Ocean Experience: The Ocean Experience tour takes visitors on a journey through the aquarium’s different exhibits. You’ll learn about the different marine life found in South Africa’s oceans and their importance in the ecosystem.
Behind-the-scenes tours offer a unique and educational experience that can enhance your visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium. Be sure to book your tour in advance to ensure availability.
Visit the gift shop and restaurant
No visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium would be complete without stopping by the gift shop and restaurant. Here’s what you can expect:
- Gift Shop: The aquarium’s gift shop offers a range of marine-themed souvenirs, including clothing, toys, books, and home decor. You can find items for all ages and budgets, making it a great place to pick up a memento of your visit.
- The Two Oceans Restaurant: The restaurant boasts beautiful views of the V&A Waterfront and the ocean. It offers a range of meals, from burgers and pizzas to fresh seafood and salads. The restaurant also has a kids’ menu and offers vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- Coffee Shop: The aquarium’s coffee shop serves a variety of snacks, sandwiches, and coffee drinks. It’s a great place to take a break and relax during your visit.
- Vending Machines: If you’re looking for a quick snack or drink, the aquarium has vending machines located throughout the facility.
The gift shop and restaurant offer a chance to take a break and refuel during your visit. Be sure to stop by and check them out!
Experience the 3D and 4D cinema At Two Oceans Aquarium
The Two Oceans Aquarium’s 3D and 4D cinema is an exciting and interactive way to learn about marine life. Here’s what you can expect:
- 3D Cinema: The 3D cinema screens a range of films that take you on a journey through the ocean. You’ll see marine creatures up close, and the 3D technology makes it feel like you’re right there with them.
- 4D Cinema: The 4D cinema adds another level of excitement with sensory effects like wind, mist, and bubbles. You’ll feel like you’re part of the action as you watch films about marine life and conservation efforts.
- Children’s Cinema: The aquarium’s children’s cinema screens films that are geared towards younger visitors. The films are fun and educational, and the 3D and 4D technology adds an extra level of excitement.
The 3D and 4D cinema is a great way to learn about marine life in a fun and interactive way. Be sure to check the schedule to see which films are showing during your visit.
Attend special events At Two Oceans Aquarium
The Two Oceans Aquarium offers a variety of special events throughout the year that can enhance your visit. Here are some of the top events to look out for:
- Puppet shows: The aquarium hosts puppet shows that teach children about marine life in a fun and interactive way.
- Marine Month: During Marine Month in October, the aquarium offers a range of special activities and events that celebrate the ocean and marine life.
- Sleepovers: The aquarium offers sleepovers for kids and adults where you can spend the night surrounded by the marine creatures.
- Conservation events: The aquarium hosts events and workshops focused on conservation efforts and ways to protect the ocean’s ecosystem.
Attending special events can enhance your visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium and provide a unique and educational experience. Be sure to check the aquarium’s schedule of events to see what’s happening during your visit.
Two Oceans Aquarium Diving Experience
The Two Oceans Aquarium in Cape Town offers a unique diving experience that allows certified scuba divers to swim among the marine creatures in their habitats. During the dive, participants can get up close with turtles, rays, and even sharks while accompanied by an experienced dive master.
The diving experience includes a briefing on the aquarium’s safety protocols and marine conservation efforts. This one-of-a-kind experience is available by appointment only and is open to certified scuba divers of all levels. Book your dive at the Two Oceans Aquarium for a truly unforgettable experience.
Where is the Two Oceans Aquarium in Cape Town
The Two Oceans Aquarium is located in the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town, South Africa. The physical address of the aquarium is Dock Road, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, 8002, South Africa. The V&A Waterfront is a popular tourist destination in Cape Town, known for its shopping, dining, and entertainment options, as well as its stunning views of the ocean and Table Mountain. Visitors can easily reach the aquarium by car, taxi, or public transportation, and there is also parking available on site.
Two Oceans Aquarium Prices
The Two Oceans Aquarium has different pricing options depending on the type of visitor and the package chosen.
- Adults (18 years and older): R235 (South African Rand)
- Children (14 – 17 years old): R175
- Children (4 – 13 years old): R110
- Children under 4: Free
- South African pensioners and students (with valid ID): R175
- Buy 10 or more, get 10% off!
Please note that prices are subject to change, and there may be additional fees for certain activities or events. It’s always a good idea to check the aquarium’s website for the latest pricing information before planning your visit.
The Two Oceans Aquarium offers a wide range of activities that cater to visitors of all ages and interests. From exploring the exhibits and attending feeding sessions to participating in behind-the-scenes tours and experiencing the 3D and 4D cinema, there’s something for everyone.
Visitors can also stop by the gift shop and restaurant or attend special events to enhance their experience. With its focus on conservation and education, the Two Oceans Aquarium is not only a fun and exciting destination but also a valuable resource for learning about marine life and the importance of protecting our oceans.